Goettel Community Park
Goettel Community Park today is a center of activity in the village. The Village Summer Recreation Program, Arbor Day, 9-11 Ceremony and Tree Lighting all are held at the park. There is a ball field used by many local teams and the Farmers Market runs on Wednesday evenings in the front of the park. The Central Square Summer Concert Series and Cruisin Knights as well as Apple Festival are wonderfully attended events held here. The park has bathroom facility's, a gazebo, pavilion and barbecue area. There is also a Butterfly Garden and many donated trees that help to beautify this park for everyone to enjoy. The current sign is a gift from John and Doris Hasto.
Brief history: This land was once part of a farm belonging to Matilda Hennicker who sold a portion to Clate Bates. Abraham Goettel bought a parcel of land from Mr. Bates to pasture his one cow. This parcel contained two springs and a large elm tree. On September 15, 1920 the five acres of land was deeded to the school for athletic purposes. On September 18, 1928 the land was transferred from Mr. Goettel and the Athletic Association to the Village of Central Square. The land was sold to the village for $1.00 with the understanding that it would always be used for recreational purposes. Over the year this park has been called "the Ball Park", Community Park and today it is named Goettel Community Park. The Lions Club has been instrumental over the years in helping with improvements at the park.
To ensure your safety and enjoyment and that of other park visitors, please observe the following:
Documents: Park Reservation Form
Documents in PDF (Portable Document Format) format require a PDF viewer to read them. The images below are links to three free PDF readers.