Hours: Noon-5pm Sundays June-October
This museum has indoor and outdoor displays. It also house a railroad library. The lower level of the station has the look of the original station with life size mannequins dressed in period clothing.
Current Station (bldg) History: The station that stands today was completed in 1909. It was built by the New York, Ontario & Western RR (NYO&W), but cost was shared with the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg RR (RW&O) which was later the New York Central System (NYC). Passenger service decreased and finally ended from Central Square to Oswego in 1941 for the O&W. Then the second line (NYC) was discontinued in February 1964. The O&W was abandoned in 1957 and the track was removed two years later. The station closed in 1964 and became property of New York State. The building was rented for a short time to a youth group and later (1973) to SOVAC until it built its new home on Gertrude Drive in 1990. The the Central NY Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society (NRHS) took an interest in saving the site and acquired it from the state. Renovation began immediately to restore the station. Many items that had been used in the station were acquired. The original “Central Square” station sign was found in Akron, Ohio at the Quaker Square Complex railroad museum by Bob Ives. After some negotiation it was returned to the museum. Additional land was purchased and rails were laid for the outdoor displays.
Early History: The New York & Oswego Midland RR built its line through Central Square around 1858. In 1871 the Syracuse and Norther RR arrived creating a “diamond” where the two railroads crossed. The original station that was built in 1868 was board and batten with large overhanging eaves and a slate roof. The Hamilton Hotel was located just north (behind) the station. The station and hotel were destroyed by fire in 1903.